10/18/2007

Justin Quinn

I find Justin Quinn's artwork astounding.
He works with type to create highly detailed, and what can be described as 'wild' illustrations.
Quinn uses the single letter E almost constantly in most of his artwork, he describes it as the surrogate for all letters in the alphabet, it's the most frequently used letter in the English language, has a visual presence that interests him greatly and has become a primary starting point in his works. Quinn compiles hundreds of E's into abstract compositions through various systemic arrangements.
I like how Quinn's illustrations are crammed with detail, and how they are constructed with hundreds of letterforms which arn't supposed to say anything; the E's are used solely as shapes, rather than type/language. I feel that Quinns work is quite personnal to himself, his fascination with the letter E and how he shows it expanding and exploring off the page really inspire me to make my work more personnal to me and to continue to develop my own style.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: